Wood Island Lighthouse
Biddeford Pool, Maine
More information: History / Photos / Bibliography / Cruises / Postcards
Location: About 2 miles east of the mouth of the Saco River
Coordinates: 43 27 25 N 70 19 45 W
Previous Lighthouse (north to south): Goat Island Light
Next Lighthouse (north to south): Cape Elizabeth Light
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation, licensed to: Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse (a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation)
Accessibility: Wood Island can be reached by boat only. The island and lighthouse can be seen distantly from a walking trail at the East Point Audubon Sanctuary. It's approximately a 15-minute walk from the gate to the view of the island. Directions: Take Route 9/208 (Pool Road) south from Biddeford for five miles, turning left on 208 toward Biddeford Pool. After 0.6 miles, turn left at the T intersection, then bear right through two forks to Lester B. Orcutt Boulevard, following it to the point. The gate entrance is on the left side. Parking is permitted along the street. Dogs are not permitted in the sanctuary.
The island and lighthouse are not open to the public, except through tours run by the Friends of Wood Island Lighthouse. The Light Runner departs Vines Landing in Biddeford Pool in season. Please click here for more information.
Station established: 1808
Present lighthouse built: 1839
Construction material: Stone
Other buildings still standing: 1858 keeper's house, 1903 oil house, storage building
Height of tower: 47 feet
Height of focal plane: 71 feet
Earlier optic: Fourth-order Fresnel (1858); Present optic: VLB-44/2.5 (LED) (below)
Characteristic: Alternating white and green flashes every 10 seconds.
Fog signal: Mariner Radio Activated Sound Signal (MRASS); two blasts every 30 seconds