Eastern Point Lighthouse
Location: East side of Gloucester Harbor entrance
Coordinates: 42 34 49 N 70 39 52 W
Active aid to navigation.
Accessibility: There are "private road" signs posted in the Eastern Point neighborhood, but visitors are permitted to drive to the lighthouse.
The station is owned by the U.S. Coast Guard and is closed to the public, but there is a parking lot nearby and the breakwater next to the lighthouse is open all year, with good views of the lighthouse. The parking lot is managed by Mass. Audubon as part of the Eastern Point Wildlife Sanctuary. It is requested that visitors pay for parking (honor system.)
Station established: 1832
Current lighthouse tower built: 1890
Construction material: Brick
Other buildings still standing: 1879 keeper's house, 1894 oil house, 1947 garage, 1951 fog signal building
Tower height: 36 feet
Height of focal plane: 57 feet
Earlier optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1857)
Current optic: VRB-25 (below)
Characteristic: Flashing white every five seconds (active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation)