Gay Head Light Bibliography
More information: Front page / History / Photos / Cruises / Postcards
Boston Evening Transcript, August 10, 1935. "Gay Head needs Man's attention to survive."
Boston Globe, "100 Lives Lost." January 19, 1884.
Boston Globe, "As Seen from the Light." January 21, 1884.
Boston Globe, "Gay Head." August 29, 1886.
Clark, Admont G. Lighthouses of Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket - Their History and Lore. East Orleans, Massachusetts: Parnassus Imprints, 1992.
Davidson, Donald W. America's Landfall: The Lighthouses of Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. West Dennis, Massachusetts: The Peninsula Press, 1993.
D'Entremont, Jeremy. "Bill Grieder's Lighthouse Boyhood." Cape Cod Today, May 30, 2002. Originally published in Lighthouse Digest.
D'Entremont, Jeremy. The Lighthouses of Massachusetts. Beverly, MA: Commonwealth Editions, 2007.
Dukes County Intelligencer, August 1981. "A Visit to Gay Head Light in 1859." Reprinted from the Atlantic Monthly of September 1859.
Dunbar, Edith Flanders. The Flanders Family from Europe to America. Rutland, VT: Tuttle, 1935.
Ellis, Jib. "New Gay Head Beacon Shines Out to Sea." Martha's Vineyard Times, June 8, 1989.
Gleason, Sarah C. Kindly Lights: A History of the Lighthouses of Southern New England. Boston, Massachusetts: Beacon Press, 1991.
Harper's New Monthly Magazine, June 1860. "A Summer in New England."
"Historical Society announces plans to renovate lighthouses of the island." Vineyard Gazette, July 3, 1998.
Hough, George A., Jr. Disaster on Devil's Bridge. Mystic, CT: The Marine Historical Association, Inc., 1963.
Huntington, Gale. An Introduction to Martha's Vineyard. Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts: Martha's Vineyard Printing Company, 1969.
"Lighthouse Wedding Schedule Maestro: Volunteer Rudy Kuser." Messenger, the newsletter of the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society, Vol. XIV No. 1, Summer 2003.
Lovewell, Mark Alan. "Lighthouse Bicentennial." Vineyard Gazette, April 13, 1998.
Mayhew. Eleanor. "Kerosene lamp, lighthouse in action." New York Times, June 14, 1953.
New York Times, "Only Twenty-two Saved." January 20, 1884.
New York Times, "The Bodies at Gay Head." January 21, 1884.
New York Times, "Rewarding Heroic Exertions." February 5, 1884.
New York Times, "Gay Head and Its Lights." December 25, 1930.
New York Times, "Kerosene Lamp Lighthouse in Action." June 14, 1953.
New York Times,"Lighthouse to Be Repaired." February 16, 1989.
Putnam, George. "Beacons of the Sea." National Geographic, January 1913.
Railton, Arthur. "Gay Head Light: The Island's First." Dukes County Intelligencer, February 1982.
Railton, Arthur. "Gay Head Light Gets the Wondrous Fresnel." Dukes County Intelligencer, May 1982.
Snow, Edward Rowe. The Lighthouses of New England. Beverly, MA: Commonwealth Editions, 2002.
Snow, Edward Rowe. "A Needless Tragedy." Yankee, January 1958.
Waterway, William. Gay Head Lighthouse: The First Light on Martha's Vineyard. Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2014.
Wells, Julia. "Lighthouses of Martha's Vineyard." Lighthouse Digest, December 1993.
Willoughby, Malcolm F. Lighthouses of New England. Boston, Massachusetts: T.O. Metcalf Company, 1929.