Plum Island Lighthouse (Newburyport Harbor Lighthouse)
Location: Northern tip of Plum Island, Ipswich Bay, entrance to Merrimack River
Coordinates: 42 48 54 N 70 49 06 W
Station established: 1788
Present tower built: 1898
Construction materials: Wood
Other buildings still standing:1898 keeper's house
Tower height: 35 feet
Height of focal plane: 50 feet
Optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1856), still in use (right)
Characteristic: Occulting green light; two eclipses every 15 seconds
Maintained by: The Friends of Plum Island Light, Inc., P.O. Box 381, Newburyport, MA 01950
Address: Harbor St., Newburyport, MA.
Accessibility: The grounds are open all year; the lighthouse is sometimes open for open houses.
2019 Open Houses will be on every third Sunday of each month from May through September: May 19, June 16, July 21, August 18, September 15. All are from 1 to 4 p.m.
There is a short ladder to climb to the top; sneakers are required. Children must be at least 5 years old and 42 inches tall to climb to the top. Free parking. Tours and parking are free, but donations to support the Friends of Plum Island Light, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and restoring the lighthouse, are appreciated.
The grounds are available for wedding ceremonies; call Linda Collins at 978-290-1413 or email
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on private tours.