West Quoddy Head Lighthouse
Location: Easternmost point in the U.S., Bay of Fundy
Coordinates: 44 48 55 N 66 57 02 W
Click below to see West Quoddy Head Light flash
Active aid to navigation. The property is maintained by Maine Department of Parks and Land. West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association manages an interpretive center in the keeper's house.
Accessibility: There is parking available in West Quoddy State Park, and it is a short walk to the lighthouse. There is a visitors center/museum in the keeper's housem maintained by the West Quoddy Head Light Keepers Association. The Visitors Center is open daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Memorial Day weekend through mid-October. Call (207) 733-2180 for more information. The lighthouse tower is not open to the public.
Station established: 1808
Present lighthouse built: 1857
Construction material: BrickOther buildings still standing: 1858 keeper's house, 1887 fog signal building, 1892 oil house
Height of tower: 49 feet
Height of focal plane: 83 feet
Optic: Third-order Fresnel lens (1858), still in use (below)
Characteristic: Two white flashes every 15 seconds
Fog signal: Two blasts every 30 seconds