Burnt Island Lighthouse
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Location: Entrance to Boothbay Harbor
Coordinates: 43 49 31 N 69 38 27 W
Active U.S. Coast Guard aid to navigation. Property managed by: Maine Department of Marine Resources.
Accessibility: A public tour and educational program is offered in summer. Balmy Days Cruises' Novelty, located at Pier 8 in Boothbay Harbor, serves as the ferry to the island. You can call (207) 633-2284 for more information on the tours, or click here for more information.
The Keepers of the Burnt Island Light, a 501(c)3 public charitable organization, was incorporated in 2008. The "Keepers" manage lighthouse programs and the gift shop with the assistance of volunteer docents and interpreters.
There are also other sightseeing cruises out of Boothbay Harbor that pass the lighthouse.
Station established: 1821
Present lighthouse built: 1821
Construction material: Stone
Other buildings still standing: 1857 keeper's house, 1880 boathouse, fuel house (c. 1886), 1899 oil house
Height of tower: 30 feet
Height of focal plane: 61 feet
Earlier optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens (1857)
Present optic: 300 mm
Boothbay Harbor Region Chamber of Commerce
Maine.info: Resources for Maine Travel & Living