Whitlocks Mill Lighthouse
More information: History / Photos / Bibliography / Postcards
Click here for a gallery of Whitlocks Mill Light photos on SmugMug (prints and gift items available)
Location: South side of St. Croix River
Coordinates: 45 09 46 N 67 13 39 W
Previous lighthouse: St. Croix River Light
Active aid to navigation. The lighthouse tower is owned and maintained by the St. Croix Historical Society.
Accessibility: The keeper's house is privately owned and the grounds are not open to the public. It may be possible to make special arrangements to visit the grounds by contacting the St. Croix Historical Society.
The lighthouse can be viewed from the St. Croix River View Rest Area on Route 1 in Calais. The rest area is announced by a "Rest Area 1,500 ft" sign from the south. The view may be largely obscured by trees in summer.
Station established: 1892
Present lighthouse built: 1910
Construction material: Brick, ceramic tile
Other buildings still standing: 1910 keeper's house, 1931 fog bell tower, 1910 oil house, storage building
Height of tower: 25 feet
Height of focal plane: 32 feet
Original optic: Fourth-order Fresnel lens
Present optic: VLB-44 LED, solar powered (2009)
Characteristic: Three seconds green alternating with three seconds of darkness