Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse
Click here for a gallery of Straitsmouth Island Light photos on SmugMug (prints and gift items available)
Location: Off east side of Cape Ann
Coordinates: 42 39 42 N 70 35 18 W
View Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse in a larger map
The island is closed to the public; the lighthouse is best seen by boat. It can be seen distantly from the end of Bearskin Neck in Rockport.
Active Coast Guard aid to navigation; island is owned by Massachusetts Audubon Society. The lighthouse is owned by the Town of Rockport and is managed by the Thacher Island Association.
Station established: 1835
Present lighthouse built: 1896
Construction material: Brick
Other buildings still standing: 1878 keeper's house, oil house, cistern building
Tower height: 37 feet
Height of focal plane: 46 feet
Earlier optics: Sixth-order Fresnel lens (1857)
Present optic: 250 mm (solar-powered)
Characteristic: Flashing green every 6 seconds
Fog signal: One blast every 15 seconds; mariner activated
Below: Coast Guardsman Geoffrey Mongillo services the lamp changer in the optic.