Minots Ledge Lighthouse
Location: Cohasset Rocks, south of Boston Harbor
Coordinates: 42 16 12 N 70 45 30 W
View Minots Ledge Lighthouse in a larger map
Active Coast Guard aid to navigation. The lighthouse is privately owned and is not open to the public. It can be seen distantly from points along the shore of Cohasset and Scituate, but is best seen by boat.
A replica lantern and a memorial to the two keepers who died when the first lighthouse fell in 1851 are located at Government Island in Cohasset, next to the Cohasset Sailing Club at 19 Lighthouse Lane. Click here for a map.
Station established: 1850
Present lighthouse built: 1860
Construction materials: Granite
Other buildings still standing: 1858 keeper's house, assistant keeper's house and oil house (all on Government Island, Cohasset)
Tower height: 114 feet
Height of focal plane: 85 feet
Earlier optic: Second-order Fresnel lens (1860)
Third-order Fresnel (1947)
Present optic: 300 mm (solar powered) (below, courtesy of Arthur Milmore)